Friday, June 25, 2010

Sibley reports again to Gov. Ramsey from St. Peter

"ST. PETER, Aug. 24, 1862 - 10:30 a.m.

"Governor RAMSEY,
St. Paul,

"DEAR SIR:  I refer you for details to my official communication to the adjutant general, and I trust my requisitions and recommendations will meet your approbation and be carried out in every particular  There is no use to disguise the fact that unless we can now and very effectually, crush this rising, the state is ruined, and some of its fairest portions will revert for years into the possession of these miserable wretches, who among all devils in human shape are among the most cruel and ferocious.  To appreciate this, one must see, as I have, the mutilated bodies of their victims.  My heart is steeled against them, and if I have the means, and can catch them, I will sweep them with the besom of death.

"Don't think there is exaggeration in the terrible pictures given by individuals.  They fall short of the dreadful reality.  This very moment the work of destruction is going on within ten miles, and yet we have not mounted force enough to spare for chasing and destroying the rascals.  A family was fired upon last night within four miles of here, and a boy killed.

"You will hear of stirring events very soon.  Cullen and Nelson will reach here to-day, and to-morrow we shall move toward the fort.  The trouble will be in keeping up our communications and guarding our rear, and the villages and people, and still retain men enough for active operations in the field.

"Please not to forget that we are without mail communications, and would like to have late papers occasionally by these special messengers.

"I have no word from my family since I left, except from some one indirectly, who saw Mrs. S. going straight to St. Paul to obtain a guard against the Indians, supposed to be lurking in the Mendota thickets.  Please send any letters there may be for me from her or others.

"Very truly yours,
H.H. SIBLEY

"I opened Flaundrau's dispatch to you, supposing it might contain something essential for me to know.  It is not of the latest.  Any letters for officers or men, send to me."

[source:  see the first post for today for the complete citation.  This dispatch found on p. 198-199 of that source]

No comments:

Post a Comment