Friday, June 25, 2010

From St. Peter, Sibley writes to Flandrau who is at New Ulm

"ST. PETER, Aug. 22, 1862.

"Hon. C.E. FLAUNDRAU,
New Ulm,

"DEAR SIR:  I have received your dispatch and that of Mr. Myrick's inclosed and have sent them to Governor Ramsey to-night.  I did not arrive with my command until after dark, the men being very much fatigued by their long march through the woods in execrable roads.  

"I send Lieutenant Cox (to whom I have issued 50 Austrian muskets) with 74 men and 48 under command of Lieutenant Buck to report to you.  My detachments from the north side have not arrived, but I hope they will be here to-morrow.  I will let you know to-morrow, if opportunity offers, should they come in, and we will act in concert in our operations.  I do not see that any advantage would be gained to the garrison in the fort by simply opening communication without the means of furnishing any supplies, but if you deem it necessary, we will make the attempt when my men all arrive.

"Captain Skaro reports that Governor Ramsey and Colonel Nelson are diligently employed in equipping 300 mounted men and 300 infantry for instant service, and that they will be here very soon.  I have no more guns to distribute.

"Write me if you need larger force to hold your position before the re-enforcements arrive.  I will act in any quarter where my small force can be effective, but it is evident that no formidable demonstration can be made until we are largely re-enforced.

"Yours very sincerely,
H.H. SIBLEY,
Colonel, Commanding."

[source:  see original post for this date, p. 197]

No comments:

Post a Comment